Tuesday, December 23, 2008

Greg's 30th in Marlborough

My 30th birthday was more than I could have ever hoped for. Ian surprised me by booking us 2 nights at the BEC Spa Resort in Marlborough. It is a small B&B surrounded by the picturesque landscape of the wine region. The owners Aloka and Leon were so gracious and made us feel completely at home. Every minute, from the moment we arrived till we left, was a complete dream.

The following day we were taken on a wine tour by DeVine Tours. The sun made its first appearence in days and made the entire valley glow amber against the dry hills. Peter, our amazing guide, brought us to many of the boutique wineries and taught us so much about growing grapes and the New Zealand wine industry. After many tastings and a lunch amongst the vines of the Highfield winery, we had dinner at Herzog.

I can't really put into words what the dining experience was like because anything I say will sound trite. It was the single most fufilling and enjoyable "dinner" I ever had. The seven course menu with a different wine pairing for each course was set against the lavender bushes and olive trees in the garden.

The 2 days of wine, food and scenery was a complete sensory overload that left me utterly fufilled and grateful that I have someone who put it together for me.

-Greg

BEC Spa Resort...


Our hosts Aloka & Leon...
View from our bedroom...


Highfield Vineyard...
Don't even say anything...we know!

Peter (on left) , our expert tour guide...Inside Seresin, a bio-dynamic winery...

3 comments:

  1. HAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAPPY 30th Greg! Sounds magical (you're so suave Ian--way to go!). Man, looking at all these pics makes me wish I could meet up with you for part of it, but don't think it's gonna happen.

    ReplyDelete
  2. HAPPY HAPPY BIRTHDAY GREG!!! I HOPE YOU GOT MY OTHER BIRTHDAY POST!! love brett

    ReplyDelete
  3. i just searched your entire blog and cant find the birthday post i sent in your bday - anyway, i hope you got it and that im just overlooking it somehow. i tried emailing you a couple times on gregs hotmail account but not sure if you are checking that. love you both so much and miss you so much! xo brett

    ReplyDelete